It’s thirteen hours before my plane ride to Sydney, and I think I’m ready to go. How do I feel, knowing that I won’t be in the US for as long as 9 months? Very, very normal, actually. I’m excited, but also calm.
I’m all packed, been through 3 packing check-lists several of times, and am confident I’m ready to go. A lot of people have asked me about what I have and will spend, and what I’m bringing, so here’s an overview.
Cost of Travel Gear and Preparation:
I spent about $1,175 on travel gear, not including a $750 one-way ticket to Sydney. This includes -
- $99 65L backpack
- $43 The Pack packing organizer (this fits in my large backpack)
- $30 JanSport small backpack (for day trips, carry-on, etc)
- $60 portable digital microphone for podcast recording
- $130 Nikon camera
- $90 TravelSafe lockable safe bag
- $335 World Nomads travelers insurance
- $68 REI waterproof and insect-proof sleep sack
I anticipate spending about $10,000 to $12,000 over the 9 month trip. I will be keeping track of my expenses, so my trip can inform others who are interested in the cost of extended travel. I am also curious to see how close I am to my target, and what the allocation of my expenses will be.
What I’m Bringing:
- 7 short-sleeve shirts
- 1 long-sleeve shirt
- 1 long-sleeve button-down shirt
- 1 polo shirt
- 1 short sleeve button-down shirt
- Light-weight UniQlo down jacket (this thing kicks ass and fits into a little bag)
- 1 pair of jeans
- 3 casual shorts
- 1 pair of running shorts
- 1 bathing suit
- 1 pair of sneakers
- 1 pair of sandals
- 1 pair of water shoes
- 1 pair of brown shoes
- 9 pairs of socks
- 8 pairs of boxers
- Universal adapter
- Waterproof camera
- iPhone 6s
There are probably a few odds and ends I am forgetting. I thought a 65L bag would be more than enough to accommodate all my stuff, but it is actually packed tight, and I will need to carry the small JanSport bag separately. I’m a bit nervous my bag is packed too heavily. Maybe I’ll have to mail some stuff home.
T minus 9 hours until take-off. Next stop – Vancouver, for a 10 hour layover.